Saturday, November 21, 2015

I Call The Shots!

          I saw this toddler shirt at a retail store that said, "I Call The Shots!" At first I thought it was funny and laughed. But as I thought about it I came to dislike the shirt and what it represents.
          Babies are cute and we want to give them anything/everything. We want our children to live better lives than we did. Children bat their eyelashes and we want to buy them the toy that they saw in the store. I understand this shirt is talking about that feeling. I get that the role reversal is supposed to be funny.
          But as I thought about the shirt, I thought about the children I saw in the store. Some were running through the store playing tag. The parents said nothing. Some were demanding certain clothes just because they had some character on them. Boys and girls were shopping in men's and ladies because they were so fat. The children went to try on the clothes and the parents were making excuses for their child being fat. One child was demanding a new bed set. Her sister was old enough to not want one with princesses on it anymore. So this other kid was screaming that if her sister got a new one, then she better get one too!
           Hello! Why does one kid getting something mean you should too!? Why are all these parents ok with their children being fat!? Why is a kid demanding anything!? Why aren't parents keeping their children from running around the store like it's their front yard!? If I had ran around like that in a store as a kid my mom would have put me in a death grip, talked to me through gritted teeth, and warned me about dad and his belt! I am not even saying spank your kids. I am just saying, "BE A PARENT!"
          When did the roles really swap!? Why are kids calling the shots!? When did parents stop teaching their children discipline and respect!? Do we really want to buy our kids a shirt that makes them think this thoughts process is ok!? Or do we want to be good parents and teach our children how to respect others!? Or maybe it's just a shirt and I am overreacting...You tell me!

No comments:

Post a Comment